This year, I decided to reach a little big and try and teach a trick to our new Great Pyrenees foster puppy, Kiska. Since she was picking up on things so quickly, I figured, let’s try and use her for this year’s Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop!
Let’s get a kiss from ‘Kis’ka’ 😉
The easiest way for me to teach ‘kiss’ has always been to start with touch. If your dog already knows touch, feel free to skip ahead. If not, it’s super easy.
In my opinion, ‘touch’ is one of the most versatile tricks you can teach your dog. It can be used for multiple tricks, such as turning off a light, pushing open a door, etc. It’s also a great distraction exercise in a stressful situation. When Mauja is feeling stressed, we play games with touch to keep her mind occupied.
- Present your dog your hand. Dogs are naturally curious animals, so typically, they will reach their snoot out to touch your hand. When he does, click and treat.
- Put your hand out of sight for a second or two and then show your hand again. When the snoot touches your hand, click and treat again.
- Continue practicing with both hands, at multiple angles, and from varying distances.
Note: Touch can also be taught with a target stick rather than your hand.
Once you feel your dog is responding positively to touch, it’s time to move on to kiss.
- Move your hand (or target stick) close to your lips for your dog to touch with her snout.
- Move your hand closer and closer to your lips (or cheek if you prefer the kiss there), continuing to ask for touch.
- Ask your dog becomes more comfortable with the position, place your hand right next to your lips to lure your dog to ‘kiss’ your lips (or ‘touch’ your lips).
- Continue to practice asking for ‘kiss’ while gradually removing your hand as a lure.
Now that youve learned the trick, how about we discuss the treat?
Enter the giveaway below for your chance to win! Dont forget to visit all of the other amazing bloggers participating in the giveaway hop. Each blogger has their own entry form so you can increase your chances of winning! Find them here or below:
2017 Trick or Treat Giveaway – It’s Dog or Nothing The Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop is sponsored by CleverPet, The Honest Kitchen, Planet Dog, and Health Extension. The opinions and ideas in this post are my own and are uninfluenced by any other person or business. The individual sponsors are responsible for their giveaway prizes including shipping.