As many of you know, I’m a vegetarian. I’m also a buy local, eat only fresh foods, save a snapping turtle, move a stuck bat, stop for every stray animal kind of girl. I’ve often been picked on for this 😉
When I got married, I started on a mission to get my husband to purchase only ethically sourced animal products. He’s made some major changes to his purchasing habits over the last few years, which has made me feel a lot better. However, I knew I still needed to make a few more changes. I knew improvements were necessary for Mauja and Atka’s diets as well.
I can carefully comb through the ingredient list and ensure the food made and sourced in the USA with high-quality ingredients, but that doesn’t usually tell me how the ingredients were acquired. In my opinion, that information is just as important as the ingredients themselves. That’s why I was super excited to learn about the Open Farm brand.
Our grain-free recipes focus on a limited set of premium proteins, fruits, and veggies that are raised naturally, responsibly, and humanely. By working exclusively with farmers who share our commitment to exceptional quality and sustainable farming practices, we make a better food for your pet while doing some good for family farms, farm animals, and the environment. – Open Farm
Open Farm makes me feel like I’m doing good by Mauja and Atka with their strict adherence to humane animal care by:
- ensuring meat and poultry is 100% certified by the Humane Farm Animal Care Program. The HFAC standards ensure animals have ample space, shelter, and gentle handling as well as a healthy, antibiotic and hormone free diet. The animals are free to live how they would naturally.
- offering sustainable ocean caught fish that is free from antibiotics and artificial feeds. The fish are caught in a way that will cause minimal damage to marine habitats and other non-target fish and endangered species.
- mandating fresh and local fruit and vegetable sourcing. The manufacturing facility is regularly audited by the USDA, FDA, and AIB International to ensure maintenance of food and safety standards.
Open Farm is consistently working to reduce their environmental footprint, which is extremely important in today’s world. Currently, there are four main ways they do this:
- Bag Recycling Program – Open Farm has partnered with TerraCycle to launch the first North American pet food bag recycling program. Since approximately 95% of pet food bags are not recyclable, Open Farm worked to create a better bag that can be recycled and turned into new products rather than sent to a landfill.
- Farming Standards – All partner farms must adhere to strict standards to help protect the water, air, and ground.
- Fishing Standards – Fishing methods that avoid overfishing help protect the aquatic environment.
- Local Sourcing – All fruits and vegetables are brought in locally to reduce fuel-heavy ground transportation.
Currently, Open Farm has three, grain-free formulas:
Homestead Turkey & Chicken
Catch-of-the-Season Whitefish & Green Lentil
Farmer’s Market Pork & Root Vegetable
Feeding Open Farm to Mauja and Atka makes me feel like I’m doing good for them and the environment by giving them only the best possible ingredients. The only “complaint” I have is the size of the kibble. For most dogs, this won’t be a problem, but they are a bit small for giant breeds (they could definitely snort these up their noses!). Thankfully, Mauja and Atka are pretty good at chewing their food, so I don’t really worry with them.
So in 2016, let’s all do good by pets and pay more attention to how all animals are being treated <3
About the Giveaway: