Summer is by far my favorite time of year. Sunny days, water fun, and vacations – what’s not to love?! Mauja and Atka participate in the majority of our summer activities. I love having them with us and they love getting out and about and meeting new people.
When Mauja first entered our lives, we spent a lot of time preparing for our new fluffy baby. We researched, planned, and then researched some more. I felt pretty confident when she came home with us, but you always have to be ready for some unexpected challenges! Taking Mauja on her first beach trip was one of those challenges.
Here are 5 tips to help your beach visit go smoothly:
1. Make sure the beach is dog-friendly. Many beaches are only dog-friendly during certain times of the year or day.
2. Don’t force your dog. Mauja was scared of the waves at first and it took a few visits before she became comfortable. Let your dog explore at his/her own pace.
3. Pay attention to your surroundings. People don’t always pick up after themselves and can leave drinks or snacks that could harm your dog. Bottle rings, broken glass and cigarettes are often left as well.
4. Watch for over-exercising. Some dogs just have so much fun and don’t know when to stop! Make sure your dog is getting plenty of fresh water and shade breaks to hydrate and relax.
5. Clean up properly. Before heading out, make sure you clean up all your belongings (especially those poop bags) to keep the beach dog-friendly. Find some fresh water to clean the salt and sand out of your dog’s fur for a comfortable ride home. Oh, and don’t forget plenty of towels so you don’t bring the ocean back with you 😉
If you’ve taken your dog to the beach, what other tips do you have?
This post is a part of PetSmart’s #NewPetPartner Passport to Summer campaign. Stay tuned next week to see the fluffies’ summer passport! Want more tips for bringing home your new best friend? PetSmart has great sources here and here and follow @itsdogornothing.kelsie and #NewPetPartner on Instagram for more tips and tricks 🙂 Special thanks to PetSmart and Chuck It for the fun summertime toys!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by PetSmart. It’s Dog or Nothing was compensated for helping promote PetSmart’s #NewPetPartner campaign, but we only share information we believe in and feel you would enjoy!