One of the most difficult decisions we have to make as pet owners is what to do with our furry children when we have to travel. Can they come with us? Should we leave them at home? Take them to a kennel? These days there are several ways to find care for your pet while you are away.
When I looked up the statistics on how much we spend on care for our dogs, I wasn’t surprised at all. Everything is more expensive when you own a giant breed, including boarding costs. Personally, I am not a fan of boarding so we choose to have someone stay in our home. Since we are military and have no family around to help, we hire a pet sitter. With our dogs being young and extremely social, we ask that our pet sitter live in our house while we are gone.
Choosing a Pet Sitter
- Conduct phone interviews
- Contact references/ask for background check
- Choose best candidates to come to the home and meet your animals
- Determine whose personality would be fit with your dogs and lifestyle
- Create a contract detailing expectations
Some people prefer to not have anyone stay in their home while they are gone. Choosing a boarding facility requires just as much research as hiring a pet sitter.
Choosing a Boarding Facility
- Tour the facility (unannounced is best)
- Observe how the employees handle the animals
- Ask for a daily feeding and exercise schedule
- Inquire about the requirements for a dog to stay
- Check feeding and medication policies
When in doubt, ask questions. Even if you think it is a silly question, ask anyway! You are paying someone to take care of your darling pet. You deserve to know exactly how their care is going to go.
What do you do with your dogs while you are away?
There’s still time to enter the giveaway for a $400 PetSmart gift certificate!